CATEGORIES AND AGE RESTRICTIONS
Category A Full Quran 24 years and younger
Category B 15 Consecutive Juz 24 years and younger
Category C 5 Consecutive Ajza 24 years and younger
Category D 1 Juz 12 years and younger
Category A Full Quran 30 years and younger
Category B 15 Consecutive Juz 30 years and younger
Category C 5 Consecutive Juz 30 years and younger
Category D 1 Juz 12 years and younger
 Date of reference 01 October 2017 || for Category D the date of reference is the day of the respective competition.
- All contestants must be a South African Citizen and/or holder of a South African legal resident permit and/or possess legal refugee status.
- At the discretion of the National Shura Council (NSC), any contestant can be disqualified if found to be over-qualified to participation in Categories C and D. The contestant will be allowed to change his application to participate in either Categories A or B.
- A professional reciter of the Noble Quran is not eligible to participate in the competition. A Professional will be defined, and not confined to, as a reciter that is recognised nationally and/or internationally as a recognised, famous and qualified Qari.
- The final decision to confirm and/or accept participation in the competition and/or any category is within the sole and absolute discretion of the SANQC’s Shura Council. The same applies to revoking the right to any contestant to participate.
- Contestants qualifying to enter the South African National Quran Memorization Competition Finals for males can only be South African Citizens. For females, legal residents are allowed at the discretion of the NSC.
- In the event of the winner being selected to represent South Africa in any international competition, the contestant must be a South African Citizen in addition to any further requirements and/or conditions stipulated by the host/s. Furthermore, the selected representative must be able to abide by all requirements within the required deadlines.
- Category D winners do not participate in the South African National Quran Memorization Finals.
- A Contestant must attain a minimum of 85% aggregate in the regional in order to qualify for participation in the South African National Quran Memorization Competition Finals.
Participants are judged based on the following four (4) perimeters:
1. Hifẓ || Memorization.
2. Tajwīd and correct pronunciation of letters.
3. Waqf (pausing and restarting recitation at appropriate places)
4. Fluent rendition
IMPORTANT: Voice (good or bad) is NOT taken into consideration whatsoever. A melodious voice is a gift from Allah and thus it is unfair to judge a contestant on this. Rather a correct and fluent (number 4 above) recitation is used as a criteria.
- Category A Full Quran 3 questions per contestant
- Category B 15 Consecutive Juz 3 questions per contestant
- Category C 5 Consecutive Juz 3 questions per contestant
- Category D 1 Juz 2 questions per contestant
- Each question will consist of one (1) page from The Musḥaf al-Madīnah al-Nabawiyyah’s Taʿlīq Script (King Fahd Printing Press for the Noble Quran)
- The Contestant will only be presented with that amount of words, sufficient to recognize the stipulated ayat to commence from.
How is a contestant alerted to a ḥifẓ error?
- Upon reciting incorrectly, the Contestant is alerted (Not corrected)to the error by means of a buzzer or light.
- The contestant is allowed the opportunity to correct himself/ herself and continue recitation.
- In the event the Contestant is unable to correct himself/ herself, the Adjudicator will once more alert the contestant.
- In the event that the Contestant is unable to correct himself/ herself, the Adjudicator will correct the error of the Contestant verbally.
The above-mentioned process will occur every time a ḥifẓ error occurs.